What could be more comforting than a bowl of warm Malva pudding drenched in custard on a cold night? Amarula Malva Pudding, that’s what!
Malva Pudding is a South African favourite. Its not hard to see why! It’s basically a caramelised spongy pudding flavoured with apricot jam and soaked in a syrupy cream sauce. Comfort food at its best! The addition of Amarula Cream Liqueur takes this dessert up a notch and adds that extra warm and fuzzy feeling.
For the Malva Pudding:
2 large eggs
2 tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
For the sauce:
100ml hot water
100ml Amarula Cream Liqueur*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a medium ovenproof dish. I used an 18cm x 25cm dish.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Melt the butter and jam together, then stir in the vinegar. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Sift the dry ingredients together then add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk.
- Pour the batter into the greased dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Just before the pudding is done, make the sauce. Add all ingredients except the Amarula to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for a few minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the Amarula Cream Liqueur.
- Remove the Malva pudding from the oven, then prick several times with a fork. Pour the hot sauce over the pudding and leave for 15 minutes to soak in.
- Serve warm with custard.
*For an alcohol-free version, replace the Amarula Liqueur with cream