Autumn is here! I love this time of year – the crimson and gold trees and crunchy carpets of leaves on the streets. It also means it’s dark when the alarm clock goes off in the mornings, which can make it a bit of an effort to get out of bed. So why not reward yourself with this delicious Apple Crumble granola?
The combination of apple and cinnamon is a classic one, and a perfect way to celebrate the warming, spicy flavours of autumn. Add milk or yoghurt for a delicious breakfast, or sprinkle over ice cream or custard for a quick dessert.
4 cups oats
½ cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
½ cup mixed seeds
⅓ cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Generous pinch of salt
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup coconut oil
¾ cup applesauce*
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dried apple pieces
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the oats, nuts, seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Place the honey and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds to melt.
- Stir in the applesauce and vanilla, then add this liquid to the dry ingredients and stir gently until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, stirring the granola halfway through baking.
- Reduce the temperature to 120°C and bake for a further 45 minutes, then allow the granola to cool completely.
- Chop up the dried apples into small pieces. Once the granola has cooled completely, stir in the apple bits and transfer to an airtight jar.
TIP: If you plan to store the granola for more than a week, keep the apple pieces separate and only chop and add them when you want to eat the granola. Otherwise they will make your granola go soft.
* You can find applesauce in the condiments aisle of the supermarket where the mustards and sauces are.