If you want to up your cake game, say no to boring buttercream! This chocolate fudge icing has an amazing texture – like that of a spreadable fudge! It might be a little hard to imagine but once you taste it you will know what I mean. It’s pretty special. The unique texture is all thanks to a surprise ingredient… Egg! It may sound a little strange but it does something magical to the chocolate.
The fudgy texture doesn’t lend itself well to piping, but is absolutely perfect for spreading onto a classic chocolate cake, brownies or cupcakes.
(enough to fill and ice 1 x 23cm double layer cake)
140g milk chocolate*
1 large egg, beaten
150g icing sugar, sifted
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow the hot water to touch the bowl or the mixture may burn.
- Stir occasionally until melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. The mixture must still be warm but not hot.
- Mix in the beaten egg. Beat very well.
- Lastly beat in the icing sugar until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (and no more or it will be hard to spread), then use to spread over your chocolate cake.
*For a richer icing you can use half milk and half dark chocolate.