35g ground almonds
30g unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
110g cold butter, cut into small cubes
5ml vanilla extract
15-30ml ice water
300g white sugar
70g unsalted butter
125ml heavy cream
120g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
sea salt crystals to garnish
- Prepare the sweet pastry. In a large bowl mix flour with ground almonds, sifted cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
- Incorporate butter into the flour mixture, using a food processor, or rub in with your fingertips until crumbs are formed. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix them in. Add just enough iced water to incorporate into a firm dough.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- On a floured surface or over the plastic wrap roll the dough to a rectangle about 3cm larger than your tart pan. It should be rolled quite thinly otherwise you will end up with a thick base. Lift up the rolled dough and place it in a greased tart pan (I used a rectangular loose-bottomed tin, 36 x 12 cm and had a little pastry leftover). Remove the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.
- Prick the dough with a fork, line a parchment paper over the dough. Fill with dry beans, rice or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated 180°C oven. Remove the weights and the parchment paper. Return to oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the tart pan.
- Prepare the caramel (this is the fun bit!). Place the sugar and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
- Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth.
- Let the caramel cool slightly and pour over the chocolate crust. Refrigerate for about 4-5 hours.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat the cream in a small saucepan. When the cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let sit one minute, then stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the set caramel. Spread it evenly and refrigerate for another 2-3 hours before serving (the final bit of patience required!). Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve.