I love giving something homemade and delicious when we’re invited to friends for dinner. Usually I offer to bring a dessert (which forms part of the meal) but sometimes a food gift of a different kind is more appropriate. Something pretty and fun, that can be kept for months and enjoyed with minimal effort whenever the mood strikes.
This beautiful brownie mix is a joy to look at and to eat. It always brings a smile to the recipient’s face! And when they do get around to whipping up the brownies, you did half the work so it’s kind of like a team effort and they’ll definitely think of you as they take the first heavenly bite.
If you want nice clean layers, try using a funnel when you add the ingredients and push down each layer before adding the next (either with a spoon or your hand if it fits in the jar). I found this works much better than tapping the jar to “settle” the ingredients. Be sure your jar is 1 litre in size so everything fits just right. I used this Kilner jar. Not much else to it!
You can get creative with the last 3 layers, adding any combination of nuts and chocolate chips/chunks that you like. You could even use broken up Oreos for one of the layers.
I’ve included a choice of 3 printable labels for you, so simply download, print and stick on your jar when you are done! Click here: Brownie Mix Label
To fill a 1 litre jar
150ml dark brown sugar
150ml castor sugar
100ml dark chocolate chips
100ml white chocolate chips
100ml pecan nuts
- Mix together the flour and salt. Add half of this mixture to the jar.
- Next add the cocoa, then the remaining flour/salt mixture, pushing down each layer in-between.
- Now add the brown sugar, then the white sugar.
- Lastly layer in the dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and fill to the top with the pecan nuts.
Baking directions: (to be given with the jar, or use my printable label Brownie Mix Label)
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23cm x 23cm baking tin.
- Pour the contents of the jar into a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, 165ml melted butter and 3 eggs. Beat until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into slices and enjoy!